Posted on February 17th, 2011
Last week Team Beeriety joined Girls Pint Out and 40 of our closest friends for a meetup at Boston’s best Scottish pub, The Haven, for a fun night of drinks, food and conversation. The night was a huge success; everyone seemed to have a great time and lots of delicious Scottish beers were enjoyed while chatting with friends both new and old.
As part of the event we, along with Haven owner Jason put together three different flights of beer to give people the opportunity to try a number of different Scottish beers. The first flight was dubbed “A Tour of Scotland” it’s a beginner’s tour of Scotland – the beers on the list take you right up the East coast of Scotland from Dunbar to the remote Orkney Islands. It’s a great introduction to the beers of Scotland.
- Belhaven 5.2% ABV [Scottish ale from the town of Dunbar]
- Williams Session 3.9% ABV [Golden ale from Alloa]
- 5am Saint 5% ABV [Red ale from Fraserburgh]
- Skullsplitter 8.5% ABV [Wee Heavy Scotch ale from Orkney]
The second flight featured a number of higher alcohol brews which celebrate the tradition of rowdy Sunday afternoon rides down the river on a steamboat, so we called it the “The Steamer Paddle.”
- Belhaven Dark 7% ABV [Stout from Dunbar]
- Joker IPA 5% ABV [Pale ale from Alloa]
- Dogma 7.8% ABV [Ale brewed with honey, kola nut, poppy seed and guarana from Fraserburgh]
- Innis & Gunn 6.6% ABV [Oak aged pale ale Edinburgh]
Finally the third flight was “the Heritage Tour.” This flight features four beers from Williams Brothers, one of Scotland’s best breweries. Three of these brews are re-creations of historical ales, and while they may feature unusual ingredients, they’re all delicious.
- Midnight Sun (Porter brewed with ginger) 5.6% ABV
- Alba Scots Pine 7.5% ABV
- Fraoch Heather Ale 5% ABV
- Kelpie Seaweed Ale 4.4% ABV
All and all it was a really fun evening. We gotta hand it to everyone at the Haven for helping us run a really smooth night. Thanks to everyone who came out, we’re already planning another event in March, so watch out for details on that.